Lamella Clarifier / Lamella Separator
A lamella clarifier (also lamella separator, lamella thickener) is used to separate sedimentable solid (sedimentable particles) from liquids.
In general, particles larger than approx. 50µm (and of higher density than the liquid) can be separated by sedimentation. Particles of smaller size can be separated using coagulation aids.
Our lamella clarifier can be manufactured from laboratory size to industrial dimensions. The casing is typically made of coated or stainless steel and the lamellas are made of propylene.
Lamella Clarifier / Lamella Separator Function
The effluent enters the lamella separator through the inlet channel on the top and flows to the bottom of the separator. The water is led back to the top, on its way the water flows through the lamellas, onto which the solid particles settle. The purified water flows to the top and reaches the outlet by passing a weir. The sludge slides down the lamellas and is collected in the sludge funnel. A rabble rake can be installed to prevent caking of the sludge. The sludge is exported at intervals.Principle Diagram
The effluent flows from bottom to top through the lamellas. This is represented by a flow vector pointing diagonally upwards. The particles sedimentation velocity is represented by a vector pointing downwards. The summation of the two vectors gives a resulting force pointing towards the lamella. Once the particle reaches the lamella it is separated from the water, and now as sludge, slides down to the bottom. The clarified water flows further to the top of the lamella separator. The schematic illustration shows this principle on the example of a single particle.
Lamella separators manufactured by Leiblein GmbH are applicable wherever sedimentable particles or flakes are to be separated from liquids.
- Gravel and sand industry
- Recycling industry
- Glass / Ceramics / natural stone
- Chemical industry
- Energy industry / cooling water
- Tunneling / construction sites
- Food industry
- Waste / Landfill / street-cleaning
- Heavy metal precipitation
- And many more
Leiblein lamella clarifier offers the following advantages:
- compact design- saves more than 85% of space compared to conventional sedimentation tanks
- as a result of the 60 degree gradient of the hopper the sludge slides down to the outlet, and can be exported via a pump or valve arrangement.
- none or only few moving parts
- low manufacturing costs due to compact design
- only small effort for maintenance and cleaning
- low operating costs / low energy input required